Monday, August 05, 2013

Some cards for camp

For several years now, before my kids go to bed, I bless each of them and say:

"May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May the Lord protect you and smile on you.
May the Lord be gracious to you and give you peace.
I love you."

Well, Jonah won a week at a local Bible camp (a fabulous blessing!), but he was concerned about getting his blessing before bed each night. He asked if they would let him use the phone. I said they probably wouldn't, so I said I'd figure out something.

I came up with the idea of making five cards, one for each day away. He would open them before bed and read some questions I wrote for him (how's the food? what are you learning? etc.) and then I wrote out his blessing each night. 

I thought I'd share the cards here. They're super CAS (& were made quickly Monday morning before we left!) I used my Mama Elephant Type It set because Jonah loves our typewriter. I stamped them all onto white cardstock, in five different colours (pure poppy, harvest Gold, aqua mist, orange zest and enchanted evening.) I added a few different sentiments.





I'm linking up this card to this week's Simon Says Stamp Challenge: Anything Goes.


Also, to let you know, I'm super honoured and excited to be the featured blogger on Paulina's blog today, if you'd like to check it out.

Thanks for looking!

19 comments:

Kristie Goulet said...

I just popped over from Paulina's blog and I am your newest follower. So nice to "meet" another Sister in Christ.
I love these little note cards, perfect! Thanks for sharing.

Miriam Prantner said...

What a wonderful idea! I love that he wants to receive his blessing each day! These are so special!

Melissa said...

Word blessings are long lasting gifts of grace for your children, a soft place for them to land when the world doesn't offer it.

Sarah J Moerman said...

These are fabulous! Love the pops of color against the white. Thanks for joining us for the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge!

Megan Carroll said...

Love the new blog Leigh! Looks great! And what a beautiful idea for your son to have these cards... I am sure he will enjoy them. Lastly congrats on being a featured blogger... Very exciting!!

Paulina said...

This post just warms my heart. I love the blessing you say to your kids and the fact that Jonah was concerned he was going to miss out on his blessing each night is so cute. (I can only imagine how YOU felt when you heard this!) While I'm still a single gal with the hopes of someday getting married and having kids, I mentally keep note of things I hear that I want to do with my kids someday. This is totally one of them now! :)

Michelle said...

Not only are you creatively talented, you're a good Mom too. He will remember those cards for the rest of his life. What a beautiful legacy.

TLady said...

What a SUPER IDEA Leigh!!!!!!!:) I think I wouldn't want to go without that blessing either!!! Sounds like your child is a VERY SENSITIVE one to the things of God! HOPE he has a WONDERFUL TIME at camp & comes home with MANY HAPPY MEMORIES! I'M SURE he'll remember those cards you made JUST FOR HIM!!!!!!:) WHAT A WONDERFUL MEMORY YOU'VE CREATED FOR HIM!!!:)

Lindsey said...

So sweet! This just makes me smile. And I popped over from Paulina's blog, too, though I already know and love you. :)

Andrea Garland said...

This is a beautiful way to say I love you and I'll be with you to your son.

Darnell said...

Aw, Leigh, you're the BEST mom!! This is the kind of thing I would do a hunnert years ago for my son, before there were so many cute stamps! I'm sure he loved it!

Congratulations on being the Featured Stamper over on Paulina's blog!!

Jen Carter said...

This is so sweet! I love that you say this blessing to your kids every night! This is such a creative way to do it when they are away from home!

Michelle said...

What a beautiful blessing, Leigh! Your cards are gorgeous, superb CAS. Your kids are blessed to have you as their mother. My daughter (almost 11) just returned from three days (2 nights) at camp last week. She told me today that she "almost died" without her goodnight from me, and she has started worrying about the 6 day school camp next year. I think I may "borrow" your idea and send her with a collection of cards filled with love.

craftmates said...

This is so sweet. I love this idea! I;m sure Jonah will love it. - Irma

Anonymous said...

I found your site through Pretty Pink Posh and am glad that Paulina highlighted you. Your cards are nice and since I am new to stamping, I feel like I can make some of them. I look forward to following your site.

Renee said...

Leigh these are fantastic!
And he will love and treasure each one...
how sweet that he wanted his nightly blessings...
just precious.
How's mom doing without him?

Heather North said...

You are such a good mom!

tonyamaries said...

Your children are very lucky to have you as their mom. They are destined to grow into wonderful adults.

Kelly Griglione said...

How special ... what a great momma you are, Leigh! I enjoyed reading this story : ) I'll go check out Paulina's blog.