Wednesday, February 20, 2008

My canvas

I think the thing that most inspired me from Ali Edward's new book, Life Artist, was the collection of canvases that she created at the beginning of each chapter. In fact, I was so inspired that I purchased a package of three 11"x17" canvases at Walmart before Christmas, with the idea to decorate them using song lyrics that I love.

Well, this weekend, I finally got the first one done:



(The lyrics are from a song by Starfield.)

Here's how I made it:

1) I painted the canvas green (with a combination of Making Memories paints) and used a Heidi Swapp mask to make the white butterflies. I let it dry overnight.





2) Then I laid out the Scenic Route chipboard letters to spell "forgiven". I cut out the lyrics from Heidi Swapp rub-ons and placed them where I wanted. I adhered the chipboard letters first (with taperunner and glue stick) and then set to work on the rub-ons. (This step took over an hour!)





#3) I traced the butterfly mask on the back of a piece of My Mind's Eye patterned paper...



#4) and cut it out with a craft knife. I glued it on to the canvas.

And voilĂ !

5 comments:

Melanie said...

Wow. Beautiful!

Tam said...

Love the colors. This is gorgeous!!

Leah said...

That's beautiful I love it!

Crystal said...

That is so beautiful, Leigh!! You can make me one anytime. Seriously, I love it!

Kristel Bueckert said...

Leigh that is gorgeous! I love that song too!