Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Something true

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It is not just in some of us; it is in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others."
--by Marianne Williamson


I read this quote in a John Eldridge book (Waking the Dead) a few months ago. My friend, Heather, posted it on her blog today. I reminded me of how much I liked it when I read it and how much I struggle with believing that it is true about myself. I can so often swing between believe that I am such a loser and that I am great. I'd love to stop believing the lies that I've been told (that I'm a loser) and start living with the belief, the sure, unshakable belief that I am "brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous." Wouldn't there be a lot more joy in that?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! I totally love that! Need to print it out and put it on the fridge! Thanks for sharing.

Heather M. said...

I hear you, Leigh! And I think you are brilliant, talented, gorgeous and fabulous! I'm so glad we are friends! Hugs!!

Heather said...

I love the quote and it was a good book! You definately are brillian, talented, fabulous and gorgeous.